Friday, January 15, 2021

 


Life between the lakes, part 16

I will not kid you, it can get tough up here. I love the isolation but it can get lonely. Today I learned how sometimes, when men get lonely they venture out and do things they might not normally do.

And this was me tonight.

When this morning (Friday) arrived, I realized I had spent all my drinking money on groceries. So when I got back to the lake and took care of the dogs, I was thirsty and anxious for an adult beverage.
I slightly panicked when I realized my emergency stash was gone. But I formulated a plan and drove to the only bar within 15 miles of me.

I mussed my hair as I rushed in, trying to look distressed and it worked. The barmaid greeted me instantly and asked me if I was OK and if wanted a drink.

“Bring me four shots of your best whiskey and and step on it” I said.

The barmaid made eye contact with me, chuckled at my order but then followed it to a tee. Within sixty seconds I had four shots of the best whiskey in front of me

The first two shots were gone in an instant.

“Hey Bub, what’s your hurry?” the barmaid asked.

I threw down the other two shots with only thirty seconds in between.

“Hey, seriously, what’s your hurry? She asked again.

“Look,” I said. "If you had what I have, you would be in a hurry too.”

“What do you have?”

“About three dollars and twenty five cents.”

I threw the money on the counter, ran outside to my Jeep (which I left running) and slid across my hood in “Dukes of Hazzard fashion.” I hit the gas, threw snow and gravel and headed for home.
Wheeew!

Now that I have that off my chest, I guess I can get back to writing fiction. 🙂

No comments: